Zheim Zeimiai (Zesheim in Yiddish)
District town, at a distance
of 22 km South-East of the regional city of Keidan (see
item) and 12 km North West of Yenovo (see item), and
therefore, it was also called in Russian sources by the name
of Yenovo Zheim (Yanovo Zheimi).
In 1847 there were 753 persons
in the Jewish community of Zheim and they had a synagogue.
Starting at the end of the 8th decade of the 19th century,
immigration of the Jews of Zheim to South Africa and the USA
increased and their number in Zheim gradually declined.
Before WWI, 60 Jewish families resided in Zheim. During that
time R' Chaim son of Ya’akow Glaizer and R' Chaim Klivanov
served as Rabbis of Zheim. When independent Lithuania was
established, a Jewish Community was established in Zheim,
headed by an elected committee of 5 members. At the
population census of 1923, 110 Jews out of a total count of
662 local residents were counted in the place. Of the 10
stores in town, Jews owned 9 of them. They also owned a
flourmill. A "minyan" of children studied at a local Cheder. The
continued drop in the number of Jews was felt also in the
public activities. In 1929, in preparation for the 16th
Zionist Congress, only 4 shekels were purchased.
At the summer of 1941, during
the occupation of Lithuania by the Germans, no more than 20
Jews remained in Zheim. At the end of July or the beginning
of August 1941, they were transferred to the Keidan Ghetto,
and their fate was the same as the fate of the Jews
there: most were murdered on 28 August 1941 (5 Elul 5701) at
the hands of the Lithuanians who served the German
(DBL) [Dov Levin]
Gatlib, Ohalei Shem, page 35.
Kamzon, Lita Jewery,
Note: The towns referred to above by their Yiddish names
are, in Lithuanian: